I have uncovered the secret to recreating Wingstop’s famous Cajun Wings recipe! As a self-proclaimed foodie and lover of all things spicy, I was determined to find a way to enjoy these delicious wings in the comfort of my own home. And after many attempts and tweaking, I can confidently say that I have finally cracked the code! Keep reading to learn how to make Wingstop Cajun Wings that will have your taste buds dancing with joy.
What are Cajun wings from Wingstop?
Wingstop Cajun Wings is a spicy chicken dish that is popular in Louisiana and other parts of the south. The dish is traditionally made with chicken wings that have been deep-fried and then tossed in a spicy sauce containing Cajun seasoning, hot sauce, butter, and vinegar.
- 2 pounds of chicken wings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Prepare the chicken wings by rinsing them under cold water and patting them dry with paper towels. You can also separate the wings into drumettes and flats if desired.
- In a shallow dish, combine the all-purpose flour, Cajun seasoning, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika. Mix well to ensure all the spices are evenly incorporated.
- Heat vegetable oil in a deep fryer or large pot to around 375°F (190°C). Make sure there is enough oil to fully submerge the wings.
- Coat each chicken wing thoroughly by dredging it in the flour mixture. Before putting them in the hot oil, remove any excess flour by shaking them off.
- To avoid overcrowding the fryer, it’s essential to carefully add the wings to the hot oil a few at a time. Fry the wings for about 10-12 minutes or until they are golden brown and crispy. Make sure to cook them in batches if necessary.
- After cooking, use a slotted spoon or tongs to take the wings out of the oil and place them on a plate lined with paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Repeat the frying process with the remaining wings until they are all cooked.
- Optional: For an extra crispy finish, you can fry the wings for a second time, increasing the frying time by a few minutes. This step is common in Wingstop-style recipes.
- Once all the wings are fried and drained, transfer them to a large bowl. Sprinkle them with additional Cajun seasoning, if desired, for added flavor.
- Toss the wings gently in the bowl until they are well-coated with the Cajun seasoning. If desired, you can also drizzle a little melted butter or hot sauce over the wings for an extra kick.
- Serve the Wingstop Cajun wings hot and enjoy them as a delicious appetizer or main course.
- Adjust the amount of Cajun seasoning based on your personal preference for spiciness.
- For a healthier alternative, you can bake the wings in the oven at 400°F (200°C) for about 40-45 minutes, flipping them halfway through cooking. This method will result in a slightly different texture but can still be delicious.
- Feel free to experiment with other spices or seasonings to customize the flavor of your wings.
- Serve the Cajun wings with a side of ranch or blue cheese dressing, celery sticks, and carrot sticks for a classic Wingstop experience.
What To Serve With?
Wingstop Cajun Wings are delicious on their own, but they can be even more enjoyable when served with complementary side dishes and dipping sauces. Here are some ideas for what to serve with Cajun wings:
- Ranch Dressing: The creamy and tangy flavor of ranch dressing pairs well with the spicy Cajun wings. It helps balance the heat and adds a cooling element to each bite.
- Blue Cheese Dressing: Blue cheese dressing is an excellent choice for a tangy and slightly spicy flavor. Its richness complements the spiciness of the wings.
- Barbecue Sauce: A sweet and smoky barbecue sauce can contrast the Cajun spices’ flavor. It adds a touch of sweetness and enhances the overall taste.
- Honey Mustard Sauce: The sweet and tangy combination of honey and mustard creates a delightful contrast with the spicy wings.
Celery and Carrot Sticks
Crisp celery sticks and carrot sticks are classic accompaniments to wings. They add a refreshing and crunchy element to the meal, providing a contrast in texture.
Creamy coleslaw is a popular side dish for wings. Its cool and tangy flavor complements the spiciness of the Cajun wings while providing a refreshing crunch.
French Fries or Sweet Potato Fries
Serve Wingstop Cajun wings with a side of crispy french fries or sweet potato fries. The savory and salty flavors of the fries pair well with the spicy wings.
The slightly sweet and buttery taste of cornbread makes it a perfect partner for Cajun wings. Its crumbly texture provides a satisfying contrast to the crispy wings.
Mac and Cheese
Creamy and cheesy mac and cheese is another fantastic option to serve with Cajun wings. The rich mac and cheese flavors complement the spiciness and add a comforting element to the meal.
A fresh green salad can be a great choice if you prefer a lighter side dish. Use crisp lettuce, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, and your favorite dressing to create a refreshing and healthy accompaniment.
Storage and reheating
The best place to store Wingstop Cajun Wings is in the refrigerator. The temperature in the fridge will keep the wings fresh for 3-4 days tops. Anything longer than that and you risk the possibility of the quality of the wings deteriorating. The wings may become dry, or the spices may lose their flavor.
You have a few options when it comes to reheating your Cajun Wings. My preferred method is using an oven. Preheat your oven to 350°F, place your wings on a baking sheet and reheat them for about 10-12 mins, or until they’re warmed up the way you like them. If your wings have lost their crispness, there is a really neat trick you can use to regain this; broil them for an extra 2-3 minutes.
Another option is to use a microwave, although this may make the wings lose some of their texture and crispness. To reheat your wings in a microwave, place them in a microwave-safe container and heat them for about 1-2 minutes. Keep in mind; this method is not recommended for larger quantities of wings.
Wingstop Cajun wings is a great meal because they’re high in protein and low in carbohydrates. If you’re looking for a delicious way to add some extra protein to your diet, this is it!
They are also an excellent source of iron, which keeps your body’s red blood cells healthy. That means you’ll be less likely to suffer from anemia, fatigue and lack of energy.
The vinegar in cajun wings also helps you digest food better by breaking down proteins. It also helps keep your kidneys healthy and reduces inflammation throughout your body.
- Calories: 160
- Protein: 11g
- Carbs: 6g
- Fat: 8g
Are Cajun wings from Wingstop spicy?
Yes, the Cajun wings from Wingstop are spicy. The flavor of the wings is a combination of spices, which includes cayenne pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper.
I hope you enjoy this Easy Wingstop Cajun Wings Recipe. I’m always trying new things with chicken and this is a recipe that we really love.